Neko

Monday, August 06, 2007

Resolutions… of a Sort.


Well, it’s halfway through the year and heading over the hump and soon it’ll be next year, before we even know it. Weird how some years seem to drag on forever, and other fly past in a way that leaves everybody kind of dazed, hanging around at a new years’ party mumbling “where did the time go” to each other. I notice that the time does go faster as you get older*. This is not the topic of this post.**.

I’ve decided that I need to make a few changes in my life, to generate a bit more positivity and just be healthier. And stuff. You know, just an attempt to enrich my existence, in a non-hippy-balancing-my-chakra-feng-shui way. Really I just whine and mope way too much for my liking. So, in an effort to become more shiny and successful:

1. Join a gym. Exercise regularly. This one is a little bit Bridget Jones, but I really do need to start getting exercise that isn’t just climbing stairs or walking to work and home again I’d like to attempt Pilates class. I want to be both firm and supple. I’d like this to be based solely on a desire for health and strength but mostly it’s all about having a smokin’ bikini body. Which is linked to:

2. Drink less coffee, drink at least a litre of water a day, eat fruit. Because cellulite is bad. I‘ve had cellulite since I was 13, and I can manage to keep it at bay by watching judiciously doing the above. The downside is the constant peeing, but it can’t be helped.***

3. Attempt to find a job that I am better suited for**** (and hopefully that has a boss that doesn’t relate to me as if I were fecal matter, or decaying dairy produce). It would be nice if I could do things I normally do for fun, like photography or writing. Natural light and fresh air would also not be awful. Of course I have no idea how to go about this one. You know how some people are self-starters and just make opportunities for themselves? I’m the opposite of those people. Also I’m verging on hermitude. So, if any of you have ideas or contacts…I’m not too proud for handouts. No, really, I’m not.

4. Get out of my apartment, and move somewhere less expensive, with fewer screaming, thumping, door-slamming types. Possibly a flatshare. Actually, this could be a good one if I could find someone with pets I could colonise. You know, use them for affection, give them treats, but not actually have to deal with vet’s bills or poopage? Niiiiiiiiice.

5. Do the crossword. In pen. I used to do this every day and it gave me immense satisfaction and a sense of self-worth. Also I think it might look good on my CV, which could help with the job thing, surely?

Well, well. This post is getting a bit long, isn’t it? I should probably stop here. Also, and let’s be brutally honest here, the less there is to do, the more likely I am to actually have realistic chance of achieving it.

*actually we did a cool module about this in psych306f, which showed that we measure time by time that has already passed, therefore the longer you’ve lived the shorter time seems by comparison. We also studied the nature of time in sociology
** although if it was I could go on for a fair bit: I also did a sociology module o the nature of time: really, it’s just a social construct we use to make sense of our environment and fleeting, possibly pointless existences. Order in the chaos and all that. I got a first for that module, obviously.
***road trips become a bit of a pain though.
**** or, to be precise, that is better suited to me.

16 Comments:

Blogger SheBee said...

good luck, dear, with the resolutions.

I have made myself a resolution to make a resolution. Thx for the inspiration.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

I'm glad to be of service. And you know, making resolutions in August feels way less tacky than the New Years' ones.

2:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well...you've got me thinking about resolutons now for sure....
And I agree, far less tacky to be making them in August.

2:26 PM  
Blogger ChewTheCud said...

Own the mid-year resolutions ;)

I think people should do resolutions one at a time, so they can get used to them. Making a heap at new-years is too much and probably the reason most fail.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

I feel quite honoured to be such an inspiration to others. Perhaps I could be a life coach? I hear they make a bundle.

2:28 PM  
Blogger K.M. said...

For all the information you ever wanted on being a life coach, read "Martin Lukes: Who moved my Blackberry" by Lucy Kellaway.

Hilarious!

3:30 PM  
Blogger lordwiggly said...

Pets aren't THAT expensive. Especially cats. If you get them from kittens vets bills will set you back about 600ZARS in the first 6 months, and most of them dig Whiskas which is pretty cheap. Plus they're all furry and cuddly and stuff (provided their claws are clipped), and they take care of their own poop. So if you get one, can I come over and play with your pu...cat?

5:12 PM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

dbawiw: I;ll look out for it. In the library. because I'm too broke for real books! :(
wiggly: you're incorrigible. Kittehs are lovely though aren't they? Unforch my place at the mo is too small even for a small kitteh. but one day...one day...

5:18 PM  
Blogger fuzzy logic said...

Oh dear, for a moment there I thought I'd missed a big NY bash while stuck in a lift.
Start with the water bit - sounds easiest. And try a pot plant before the animals, although possibly easier to kill.

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you do manage to find a job that lets you do things you normally do for fun, please check if they have any other vacancies and let me know.

7:54 AM  
Blogger I are wearing the jean pant said...

I also did that Sociology time module!

My philosophy is to NEVER find a job where I do what I normally do for fun. Partly, well, because I have sex for fun (uhem) and parlty because if you do what you normally do for fun everyday, you are bound to kill the fun at one point. And thats just no fun :)

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well...the way I see it is that we only spend the most part of our lives doing work...so it might as well be fun.

Afterall, lying on one's deathbed one day and uttering the words: 'I wish I spent more time at the office' should have meaning.
;P

12:43 PM  
Blogger crayola dude said...

I have No. 4.

It's awesome - three little kitties that I can stroke, pet, cuddle and tell to bugger off whenever they want food or medicine...

4:41 PM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

Ekke: I really think it's the best way to go about having pets. Kinda like children, actually, it's nice being an "auntie" that can spoil them and play fun games and then hand them back when they get all horrid.

5:02 PM  
Blogger The xGW said...

cats and children: both delightful braised in an orange and black pepper jus.

10:43 AM  
Blogger crayola dude said...

"I love children. I just can't eat a whole one."

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home