Neko

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

...for want of a comedy the kingdom was lost.



I’ve started watching 7de Laan. Let me qualify that statement: it’s better than Isidingo, which is just unwatchable and might well start reincarnating people soon, the way it’s heading. M-net is no longer doing Open Time (although I'm assured Egoli is still doddering around like some sort of very conservative zombie), etv have some sort of ur-Backstage codswallop and sabc1 has B&B aka The Bold, a show which often makes me wonder if I’m high, because not one minute of that show has any semblance of reality.*

Now, firstly, what happened to this timeslot? It used to be prime time: comedy shows, the occasional good drama, a talk show here and there, and a little sport. Soaps came earlier, for the housewives**, I think was the general idea. They started around four and never extended past five thirty.

Obviously, things have changed. Apparently the masses like nothing better than to come home after a long day at work, and settle down to… a soap opera.

In any case, as soapies do, 7de Laan is shaking things up- Dezi is being a faithless wife (but she has such great hair though, really shiny) and the new-but-actually-returning guy is starting a Grand Romance with the cute boutique girl. He even showed her his pigeons. But something is brewing- he has the flu. Which means he’s going to die, or something. In the meantime, to ramp up the emotional content, we have to suffer through their hugely romantic dates.

Which are awful. It’s kind of icky to watch a real date in progress: PDA’s people, get a room! But being forced to watch the gooey cooing and canoodling of “lovebirds”*** merely to press home the point of how pure and vast their love is, so that the tragedy that’s sure to hit them is even more…well, tragic….it makes me want to drink many, many Alcohol.

In any case: I need to not have to watch 7de Laan any more A change needs to be made. I’d even settle for a game show. Although if it involves Fiona Coyne, I’m outta here.

*although Brooke’s “Pirate Booty” shirt was pretty funny.
**because once you decide to be a stay at home mom there’s nothing you like better than watching the impetuous behaviour of beautiful frivolous, wealthy loonies. It’s, like, a law!
*** the forced, unnatural romance of Mills&Boon novels. Which I have never read. Just heard about. Obviously.

Labels: , , , , ,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Methinks the seed of the solution lies in the fertile soil of your prose: "...drink many, many Alcohol"

12:50 PM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

yes, but do that many Alcohol even exist?

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"He even showed her his pigeons". Dear Me, I hope that isn't a euphemism. Alright, I've commented. I do hope you'll keep your promise now.

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the cure. Many many alcohol (the red one is good because there are many in a bottle) and Dstv - which means that the many many alcohol has to be the cheap special offer red one from pick n pay because those many hundred of channels cost - and you will surf around them looking for entertainment in vain.

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Much good point you make. Possibly enough many Alcohol for practical purpose think?

1:09 PM  
Blogger The xGW said...

I'm sorry, what?!?! They've cancelled Open Time? What next?
selling children on the black market? there goes the neighbourhood i tell you. I think i'll change my ticket to a week in Belize rather. Bastards.

1:12 PM  
Blogger crayola dude said...

Well there's always SABC1. Vernacular goodness, and all...

1:24 PM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

...fo sho'.

1:31 PM  
Blogger fuzzy logic said...

Aw, I miss 7de Laan! The characters are so sickenly wholesome, it makes you feel like you're saving the world by drinking many many Alcohol.
Don't look around too much, you mind find yourself loving Coronation Street. *Shudder*

2:58 PM  
Blogger I are wearing the jean pant said...

Is it not just amazing how Tim from Egoli went from being a PT teacher to Binkie, to being the CEO of Walco in just 5 years?

11:07 AM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

...and also from being sweet and slightly insipid, to being a manipulative JR Ewing-esque bastard... Yeah, I've always wondered about that.

11:18 AM  
Blogger ChewTheCud said...

Soapies are a waste of time. A monumental waste. Look em up on wiki sometime. SABC must have some sorta deal with DSTV to drive people to satellite, cos TV got crap real quick. It's not worth watching anymore. I don't ;)

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*erm*

I confess, I watch B&B. Exactly because I can be incredulous. It's hard to find things to be incredulous about these days. And Brooke sure does rack up on the incredulosity stakes!

1:03 PM  
Blogger lordwiggly said...

Im a huge B&B fan... //crickets//

3:39 PM  
Blogger SheBee said...

Bete,

Hello! First time reader and poster (found you thru Peas).

Um, how can you NOT love isidingo? Oh my god. I nearly fainted.

That being said, 7de Laan?!

4:13 PM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

sheena- I used to adore Isidingo, but lately the storylines have just about made me want to tear my lungs out. I think Len's lovey-dovey persona was the final straw. And Barker doing community service?seriously? zzzzzzzzzzz.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home