Neko

Friday, May 25, 2007

this Monkey's going to Heaven


I had this whole post planned out in my head last night as I lay in bed, drifting off into slumber. I was going to talk bout the Pixies, and the song Debaser, and the link to Salvador Dali, and how this influenced both my taste in music and my taste in men*. But then I fell asleep.

I keep doing this. I'm a bedtime thinker. When I'm under stress, this results in pointless obsessing over not only what is worrying me, but also unimportant things like whether I have the right belt to go with an outfit I'm planning.** When I'm not, I tend to ruminate on life, love, friendship and TV programmes. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I start to slip into that half-drowsy state where I'm dreaming, but not quite asleep, and I suddenly realise that my thought patterns have suddenly veered into the ridiculous.

Sometimes, If I think my thinking will possibly keep me awake, I'll listen to my iPod, although more often than not this will result in me dancing around the room***, in the dark, because who has time to turn the lights on?

But more often than not I write blog posts in my head. And then promptly forget them. And trust me, they are some pretty damn good writing, much better than I do during the day. And I should probably rouse myself from my snoozefulness, and type them. But I'm too sleepy at the time.

All of which is a roundabout way of saying: I wrote an excellent post last night, but you're getting this lame one instead.

* do you have arcane knowledge of music/ literature/ romantic languages? I like people who are smarter than I.
** What am I SAYING! That's totally crucial! The wrong belt is like..the wrong shoes!!! Or Forgetting mascara, when you totally planned your eye-makeup around it! FFS.
*** biggest culprits: Baby got Back, My Humps, Our Velocity by Maximo Park, anything by Franz Ferdinand.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger ChewTheCud said...

Keep a notepad next to your bed. You get the best ideas in bed. Don't come home drunk and start writing notes while watching TV however ;)

12:52 PM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

have to wake myself up and..I'm Layzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you could simulate that semi-somnolent state by forgoing your early morning coffee?

2:07 PM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

that would be a bad idea... a bad, bad idea. I'm.... cranky wihtout my first cuppa.


cranky and homicidal.

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wrote an excellent witty comment in my head last night but given the jagermeiester/tequila ratio at the time i'm afraid this is all that remains.

3:54 PM  
Blogger I are wearing the jean pant said...

If your lame ones make me laugh, perhaps it is better for my job security that you dont post the good ones!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

GW: you mix Jaeger and Tequila? that's badass. I'm in awe. I can't even do shots anymore.

Jeanpant: It's my goal to have people be called into the office for making those weird laughter-stifling noises.

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home