Neko

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Crowd Control Issues


There is some evidence of change. As I ride past Greenpoint Stadium in the morning, there is a little bit less of it every day. Soon, they will start construction on the grand, new, fancy-schmancy stadium, and thus the hoopla that will be the runup to 2010* will begin in earnest. Because if you think it's started yet, you're not South African. We can do hoopla like nobody's business. We have a Master's in Hoopla (that would be an M.Phil, in case you're wondering).

I hope not to be here, and not merely because of the hoopla (which is actually somewhat entertaining in an "you're not seriously proposing we consider the impact of prostitution on the biltong industry are you?" kind of way). I will not be here because there will be crowds.

It's the one thing nobody seems to have considered yet. Yes, they've thought about increased traffic and tourism and the need for public transport but not the reality of a gajillion rowdy footie fans ambling boredly around the place when they're not in the stadia.

I never really experienced real crowds till I got to Japan. Tokyo is just a city of crowds, but they are mostly organised, systematic crowds, with places to go and be and systems to get around. Sapporo during the Yuki Matsuri** was a completely different matter. Now, Sap-town was one of my favourite cities, and was generally pretty laid-back. but during the Matsuri, thousands of people from all over Japan, and the world, squished into its shopping malls, streets and subway stations. It was chaos, and hugely frustrating.

See, I don't cope well with masses of undirected humanity. I start to panic, my fight-or-flight mode takes over, but I can't flee because there are so many of them! and they're all in my way! and I can feel them breathing germs on me and move goddamnit or I will punch you in the throat and why are there so MANY of you!!!!

I can't breathe. I think I need to lie down.

* the 2010 Soccer World Cup, for those of you who are very isolated, dead, or American.
** Snow festival, I'm sure I've blogged about it..

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger lordwiggly said...

You should see the chaos caused by the bleeding Gautrain in Rosebank. Its insane! I have had to change my morning route to work countless times.

But change is good. We must embrace it and...stuff. Its good because...we are Saffers and we need to embrace this positive...stuff. We don't know why, but we feel the need to show our affiliation. But I know what you're saying. Fly to Europe and watch the World Cup from there ;o)

3:13 PM  
Blogger ExMi said...

I also get anxious in crowds. Especially lately. With this morning sickness, if I start to feel edgy or uncomfortable I get nauseous....not cool in a crowd....feeling like you're going to puke down the back of someone's neck....

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have thought the threat of blowing chunks would be an effective way of ensuring that people respect your personal space, but hey, that's just me.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

@Lord Wiggly: I was thinking maybe the Maldives. I could do the Maldives.
@Cheap Thrills: If you do, you can totally give them a haughty look and declare "it's morning sickness! rub my feet, mortal!"
@Kyk: I think that's just you. Please don't puke on the monkeys when we go to WoB.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Dan Lurie said...

hopefully all the British soccer huligans will be in South Africa in 2010, it should be quite peaceful here.

the only time i'm prepared to make an exception to my crowd phobia is at a rock concert.

If you can please take a pic when the stadium is gone, i'd love to see it and try and get yourself in the pic. wait.. screw the stadium :)

6:08 PM  
Blogger The xGW said...

i'd love to say that 2010 was my sole reason for moving to the uk, but alas, there are a few unpaid parking fines lurking about too...

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home