Neko

Monday, March 26, 2007

unnecessary coverage


You know, there are some cool cover songs out there in the world. Mostly, they're the ones that explore the song from a new slant... ferinstance, Cat Power's take on Wonderwall, Hounds of Love by The Futureheads, Easy done by Faith No More and so on.

And there are some truly woeful covers that have become classics by dint of their tackiness, their surrealism, or their blatant bad taste. The best "bad" cover version I have ever heard is William Shatner mercilessly interpreting Mr Tambourine Man by channeling some nutjob stalker. The man is quite obviously insane, in the best possible way. It's actually better than the original, because it's funnier, and somehow more endearing*.

However there are a lot of mediocre covers of mediocre or bad songs. Or good songs that were fine as they are. And they border on offensive. Ronan Keating covering the Goo Goo Dolls' Iris was playing this morning as I got to work. How malign a piece of work is that? Like a photocopy of a photocopy, he managed to suck what little soul and emotion lurked in that song in the first place. As bland as white rice. Unsalted!

A special (read: dark and oozy) place in my heart is reserved for the likes of I love Rock 'n Roll as molested by Britney (you love rock 'n roll? then why are you hurting it so much?), American Pie trashed by Madonna (no no no no). Atomic Kitten doing The Tide is High made me want to drown myself, Mandy by Westlife made me want to drown Westlife, and Uptown Girl by... yes, Westlife, just about made me ready to commit my life to destroying Billy Joel, since he was ultimately responsible.

Let's not talk about Light My Fire as ruined by Will Young. Because Will is adorable** and I want him to be my GBF, and we couldn't ever do that after my harsh, harsh words relating to that atrocity.

* I've just discovered Boston Legal. It is Fantastic.
**although I've seen disturbing evidence recently of premature baldness. That makes me sad. say it ain't so!!!

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bad covers are one thing, but raping a classic is just NOT on.

The fucktard who though that mixing 'Nirvana - Nevermind' with some crappy dance track should be shot; along with the loser DJ at Bang Bang Club who decided to 'drop' it on us on Saturday night.

1:46 PM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

Ooh! Ow! Ugh!

That's not good! I'm glad I wasn't there that night or I probably would have come up with some sort of DJ assassination plan...

But really, pretty much all commercial dance music is crappy samples or crappy covers, with a repetitive beat. Only about 10% of it us any good.

you know what Bang Bang needs? More Peaches.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Dan Lurie said...

Let us not forget the heinousness of Just Jinger doing Sugarman or Puff Daddy's pillage of Kashmir...

Covers are the music equivalent of movie sequels. It's a desperate cry from a lack of originality. Haydem!

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ronan keating deserves to be not living.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

...but can you even really call that living?

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the lady makes a very valid point.

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Amanda

Such old songs redone, anyway how are you - Nice blog, fun read, speed bump in the tedium.


43-56-62-57-56

11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps we should consider not listening to Westlife so much, hm?

11:22 AM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

hey! listen Kyk: It's not my fault they keep playing it everywhere I go! I can't wear my ipod earphones all the time you know!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

Antonymous! lame alphanumeric code-age and easily broken. not even trying.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thought I'd make it easy, being the answer to life, the universe and everything

43-56-62-57-56

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home