Neko

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Perhaps She Was hoping for George Clooney? Who Knows.


On Saturday, I braved the rain and wind and dumbasses* and caught the bus to the waterfront. I had some shopping to do, and I also really wanted to watch Blades of Glory, the latest Will Ferrell movie. It wasn't an Anchorman or a Zoolander, but it was surprisingly enjoyable. From the reviews and what people had told me, I was expecting more of a gross-out comedy, but it was surprisingly sweet and warm and not, in my opinion, particularly objectionable**.

which was why I was a little disturbed to see a woman striding out of the movie theatre and up towards clicks, pouting furiously and declaring: "that was so stupid! It was a stupid movie! I can't believe....STUPID!"

At first I thought she was just a random crazy, or just trying to be a good altruist by forewarning all the people who might want to head to Cinema Nouveau instead, until I glimpsed; traipsing behind her with a distinctly hangdog expression; the Boyfriend. His longsuffering silence and resigned demeanor kind of gave the impression that this is a Thing. That She Does.***

And I have to wonder, how did they get to this? Did she think she would like the movie? did He promise her romance, and she got Will Ferrell's crotch? Because frankly, in order for her not to have understood what this movie was going to be like, she has to have been walking around with her fingers stuck in her ears, her hands over her eyes, and making "Ngaaah ngaah ngaah" noises.

Or maybe she was forced into it? Is this some sort of assault-by-movie? Perhaps she takes movies very seriously. I don't know, and never will. But it's kind of driving me crazy.

* a large proportion of the people who go to the waterfront on weekends are often seemingly struck by temporary (or not) idiocy, and are unable to conduct conversations anywhere but at the top of the escalator, or have never seen t-shirts before.
** although perhaps I'm just hardened and inured to depravity and The Sickness. I hope not, that would make life all the more boring.
*** I mean, I can't claim never to have thrown a tantrum at a boyfriend before... but ... but... it was a movie!!!! And it was good... wasn't it?

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh sweet lord, for a bunch of waterfront tourists to try that on a london underground escalator. no amount of money would be too great!

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They have buses that go to the waterfront?

11:45 AM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

GW: and they get really narky when you ask them to move, like you're being insufferably rude.

Kyk: yes, they do. R3.60, every 20 mins, unless they don't feel like it.

11:58 AM  
Blogger ChewTheCud said...

Well if she makes out she hated it and he was the one responsible he owes her now. Oh they do like their little games ;)

12:48 PM  
Blogger I are wearing the jean pant said...

Some people have it so far up their own arses it has to be surgically removed...

... and I'm referring to the jean pant wedgy. He-he.

3:32 PM  
Blogger lordwiggly said...

It musta gone like this:
B: Please come with me love, you'll enjoy it.
G: But I hate those kinds of movies.
B: Oh come on! We never go see what I want to see!
G: You're such a liar! I hate you! When was the last time we went to see a movie I wanted to see? Hey, WHEN?
B: Ummm...last week.
G: That one doesn't count!
B: Ok ok don't throw a hissy fit. I wont go see it then. Hope that makes you happy
G: Oh for gods sakes, I'll go then
B: No no, its fine. //sigh// Oh well guess Ill never see Will Ferrel's latest comedy.
G: FUCK WERE GOING RIGHT NOW!! //grabs her handbag, hits him over the head and lumps him in the car//

You saw them 2 hours later. Mystery solved.

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home