Neko

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Sudden Proliferation of Geek Wannabees.


Alrighty then, okay. I have a large bone to pick with a whole lot of people out there. I'm becoming annoyed. I wish to vent*.

Somehow, at some point that nobody really saw coming, it became fashionable to proclaim oneself as a geek. Now, this is cool if you actually are a geek. The geek community; along with nerds, odd-bods, the eccentric, and those "in touch with their inner children**"; have long been relegated to the shadows, the corners of society, shunned for their choices of t-shirts, conversational topics, or turn-based role-playing games.

What crawls up my arse and dies, thus causing me to vent rancid yellow spleen however, is the sheer volume of those who proclaim themselves to be geeks who are just plain not. I find it insulting when some ex-cheerleader or "most likely to succeed"-er with a toothy grin and a confidence belying their abilities tries to wedge themselves into the circle because everybody else is too.

Here's a tip: if you got invited to all the parties at high school, or even just more than five that did not involve a D&D circle and/or Nine Inch Nails played at full volume, if you did not wear glasses or braces or were not awkward/ gangly/ pimply (or a heinous combination of all of the above), if you did not read science-fiction, fantasy manga or graphic novels, and know the characters better than you knew your family, and if you could conduct conversations with your peers without stammering, blushing or confused looks from the other party, if you didn't insist on being called something like Raven or Lestat, or if you didn't even feel like you fit in anywhere and felt lost and alone until you hit college or university and finally felt like you could be yourself, then chances are you do not actually count as a geek.

Having watched the Spiderman movies does not make you a geek. Neither does having worn Spidey pajamas. Having a favourite storyline, author or artist might. Owning a figurine and displaying it prominently is also a good sign. Owning an enire roomful- well, you don't need me to tell you who you are. You know.

Reading graphic novels because you saw the movie and want to see what the fuss is about does not make you a geek. Refusing to watch said movie because it "compromises everything [insert author/ artist here]is about" kinda does.

Watching Star trek...not. Reading Star Trek Fanfic and dressing up as your favourite character for your wedding...Definitely.

Playing playstation.... borderline. LARPing, yes, definitely. See also D&D, Magic: The Gathering. As wll as argiung heatedly over whether liking Star trek means you can't like Star Wars too, or if Zombie Spidey is "just plain wrong" or if the crew of That Other Battlestar were contravening the geneva Convention, and if that's an appplicable standard.

So please, non-geek people, cease and desist, or I will be forced to bring you down with my mad ninja skillz, which are considerable.

*makes a change, no?
** the immature.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Regarding #13: You can. All you have to do is learn to love saying, "You want fries with that?"

11:24 AM  
Blogger K.M. said...

Does my asking you what the hell LARPing is shove me into the non-geek category?

Then again, would a non-geek spend so much time on blogs?

3:41 PM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

kyk: not even funny.
DBAWIW: hmmm. it's kind of an Uber-geek thing, so no. LARPing is Live Action Role Playing. So, Like running around UCT at night acting out Dungeons and Dragons, or Murder-mystery parties, or somesuch.

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even if none of those things, of which you spent considerable time listing, were spent occupying most of your past/present or foreseeable future, this blog post alone puts you pretty high on the geek governing body.

Shall I call you Smartacus?
(sorry....a bit of Geek Mythology humour...)

3:54 PM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

I AM SMARTACUS!!!!

4:26 PM  
Blogger kyknoord said...

I'M SMARTACUS!

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dub thee sir Dimwitticus, I am not a bloody geek, I am more of a loser. I don't do all that comic book and scifi shit. But I was a lonely backward kid crying at my own parties because no one came. What does that make me?

4:55 PM  
Blogger Betenoir said...

SIR dimwitticus? I have a vagina, thankyouverymuch.

and sounds to me like you were a bit of a goth. or That Mysterious Loner Kid.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Andre said...

uh...and after that, I forgot what I wanted to say...

6:35 PM  
Blogger Andre said...

Ah yes...
(alzheimers..new and interesting ppl. every hour...)

I'm with you bete*, this nouveau-geek movement really switches my transistors.
And don't get me started on the johnny-come-lately-tifosi, k?
:)

6:44 PM  
Blogger SheBee said...

**chewing gum while saying this, opened-mouth like**

So, like, what if I was the invited to every party girl, but chatted to all the geeks while bending over and showing off my cleavage, listening to them argue over LAN Party events and such? Plus, I know what a USB Port is. Just so you know.

**flips blonde hair over shoulder and raises eyebrows expectantly**

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am confused. I read every marvel comic known to humankind during my teens and wished the Hulk could be my boyfriend. BUT I didn't have braces, spots and wasn't gangley and was ringleader of the strange girls gang. However, all the rest of the stuff...a foreign language to me. Different generation geek I guess? I did however cry a lot because my mom made me attend every single party I was invited to and I HATED parties, I wanted to stay home and read Ayn Rand

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geeks are so passe. Turbonerd is where it's at.

Pfffft

5:50 PM  
Blogger ExMi said...

i wear glasses.
i read fantasy novels.
i adore Magic: The Gathering.

Am I a geek??

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Home Theater, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://home-theater-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

9:54 PM  
Blogger ChewTheCud said...

All hail Betenoir the geek police! I deleted 200 gigs of anime yesterday, but I'm keeping the manga and comics - I can't seem to escape the geek mantle. It's amazing how you got all the points though - except for being called Raven or Lestat - irl my nick is The Monkey ;)

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home