Neko

Monday, October 22, 2007

Whoop-de-doo.


Call me Scrooge, but I just can't workup all that much enthusiasm for our World Cup Rugby win. I mean, it's nice and all, and our players did us proud, they certainly are skilled, and they have a nice selection of bums and chests. But all this hoopla and whooping and bouncing around orgasming in public just leaves me cold.

It doesn't help that I'm not one of those sporty girls. All I really know about rugby is scrums, locks, and hookers. Anything deeper than that and you've lost me*. Some people love sport and see in it all the drama of an episode of Lost, or Heroes or 24. Of course, some people watch Noot Vir Noot every week. There's no accounting for taste. What I'm trying to say is I can see, objectively, why it's dramatic and great and fantastic that we won! We're champions! We have gigantic steel balls! We made expats sulk**!

And, yes, I get why the world cup is more important than other rugby games, although, to be snarky, does that make it harder? Shouldn't we be just as proud about every victory? And why does it take something like this to unite our country, to make us feel all warm and fuzzy and hopeful about each other? To me that makes it kind of shallow and..dare I say it... less meaningful.

In any case, I'm saving my vuvuzela-blowing, yelling, car-horn-tooting drunken hysteria for when the unemployment rate drops below ten percent, or AIDS gets cured, or a politician makes the news for being incorruptible and unprejudiced.

I'm just cynical and horrible, aren't I? If you feel great about the win, don't let me stop you. I just can't join in.

*the offside rule is football, right?
** "that was the worst decision ever made by a referee in the history of sport!" right, so no sour grapes then for you, eh?

6 Comments:

Blogger I are wearing the jean pant said...

I hear you sister. I hear you.

4:19 PM  
Blogger SheBee said...

Ag, its an excuse to have a piss up, thats all.

Plus, cleebrate the boys hairy, manly, sweatiness if nothing else!

9:28 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

U got a vuvuzela? That's very sporty for a non-sport girl.

11:01 AM  
Blogger lordwiggly said...

While I'm chuffed we won, you are right, I feel like the win has been cheapened by all the non-rugby enthusiasts (like our wonderful politicians) jumping on the bandwagon and claiming that a sport can actually unite our country. What bullshit! If you are a real rugby fan, you would be pretty stoked about this week's match too! Its the Currie Cup final and its a big cat affair between the Cheetahs and the Lions. Also, you would be aware that the poor Eagles got relegated last week for sucking to new levels of suckiness. Ok ok the Falcons did play a great match. WHAT IM TRYING TO SAY is that suddenly everyone is behind our national rugby team, without having supported them for the last 12 years. Makes me wanna cotch on those fake people orgasming in the street. As if 30 okes on a field blikseming each other can truly unite an impoverished country where the majority of the population dont even know what rubgy is. Utter crap I say.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I love rugby and am just as breathless to watch the Lions play the Cheetahs (torn between whether to support my ma's home team - she's a born in the vrystaat boeremeisie - no really! or Lions cos I lurve Jozie madly) but I fail to see how winning the world cup changes anything in SA. The theives will keep shooting people dead for a stupid car and the politicians will still have sticky fingers and questionable friends and not give a toss about babies being born HIV+ or their mothers dying before they are grown. And it won't stop men raping children so I am agreed it doesn't do much for national pride in reality. But I am proud you can blow a vuvuzela - I have tried and failed sadly.

1:13 PM  
Blogger ChewTheCud said...

There was rugby on this weekend???

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home