Neko

Friday, February 03, 2006

The Proverbial Dotted Line.



Yeah. So. You're wondering what happened to the last few posts. I deleted them. Because the stuff that went on was too much and too personal to be online, where they were everybody's business. So. Now they're gone.

Anyway, today was Recontracting Decision Day 2006! Woot. Of course, they forgot, and i was in Hombetsu, and The Sup had to fetch me from the freakin station,So that I could sign the forms. Well, at least it got me a free ride home, and I didn't have to do the walk-home-in-the-sub-zero- temperatures thing again. Anyway I ran upstairs, found my damn Colon Blow pen with the smiley faces, and signed the damn thing. So now I am officially going home in 6 months. Obviously there'll be part of me that will miss this place, mostly the people I've met, and the kids. Well not all of the kids (some of them are the apathetic spawn of rancid yet boring demons), Onsens of course (there's nothing quite like a rotenburo snowfight under nighttime skies)...


...But I want to go home. I miss people who get me, people who know me from before, people who have the same cultural references as me... People who speak English. I miss my family, my friends... And my freakin independence.

I miss my hairdresser. God, that woman was a genius. And I need her now.
I miss real sunsets, and cocktails watching those sunsets, preferably by the beach.
I miss those sunsets being at 9pm.
I miss the beach.
I miss real steaks, and gemsquash, and Boerie rolls at midnight on Long Street, and peppermints crisps, and Creme Brulee.
I miss Joburg and The Shack and the Cornerhouse and little drum 'n bass holes and fab new clubs.
I miss Royale and Zero and 5Flies and, sadly Debonair's Pizza.

Mostly, I miss not being Fuckin freezing all the time. And I'm tired of always, always being the foreigner, the outsider, the one who is stared at, talked about, and Different.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, amazing! Someone who actually knows - and respects! - Cornerhouse. Damn shame the Japs just don't have a handle on dingy dives... And all the other places you mentioned, too - rocking! That's what I miss most about back home... Wonder if we'd recognize each other?! I used to LIVE in cornerhouse! Oh, and not to freak you out but things have changed hey... Two weeks before I headed over here, I rocked up to find that some bastards had bulldozed Drum cafe, Getafix, and everything on the block! Cornerhouse is still there, but the vibe is like really fucked up now. These are sad times we're living in... I mean, now where am I meant to find another joint that gets raided by the narcotics squad, and yet that's safe, dingy, and friendly?! Well, all things being relative of course...

:-)

8:19 AM  
Blogger Satyne said...

Hey there

Wow... your post is just about the opposite of the one I just entered onto my own blog! I miss the things you miss as well... but I know they'll be there when I get back! I can hold out for another 17 months or so... like they kept telling us overandoverandover again "every situation is different"... I think this just about proves that annoying sentiment, ne?!

Hugs man!! If you're hating it that much then you definitely made the right decision!!

xxxx
Natasha

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home